Monday, January 28, 2013

The Magic of Fairytales

I have recently become aware of the magic of writing or creating fairy tales based on real life. They can be therapeutic when you apply them to your own life and an amazing gift when given to someone you love. Talking to my sister, Kathy about this she said fairytales give you the chance to look at a story objectively, make fun of it and often find resolution as children's stories always have a happy ending.

A gift of love
Two years ago on my mother's 80th birthday, my sister wrote a fairytale about my mother's life. She reversed my parent's names (which gives the feeling of anonymity) and used the language of fantasy to describe the places where she had lived "a far, far away land of green hills and bushy hedges" to describe Wales and the "Land of Open Spaces where the sun shone all the time" to describe country Australia. She lovingly detailed key stages in my Mum's life and how she had to work very hard. She used the repetition of my Mum being given advice that “you will have to work very hard for that and my Mum's response “this is not what I expected at all.”

She used symbolic fantasy language to illustrate the story such as this "when you had a child you would hang at least a dozen white fluffy flags out on a flag pole every day for two years to tell the people of the Land that you had a child.
Ina had one child and then before long had two more and then another.  After 18 months Ina was spending her whole day wheeling out dozens and dozens of white fluffy flags and hanging them up on the flag pole and then bringing them in each evening and folding them up ready for the next day."

My sister read the story at my mother's birthday lunch and had the family in stitches as we appreciated the wit and tenderness with which she treated my mother's life.  My mother loved the story and read it to everyone for months after the event.

Resolving a work issue
A few months later, my husband and I were immersed in an incredibly stressful experience of handing over our business to the new owners. We had run the company as a small family owned business and maintained this 'family' flavour even though we had grown the business to six clinics and employed 26 staff. The new owners were a multinational corporation who we perceived to be changing and dismantling our 'family' in the takeover.

On a short holiday to get some respite from the 'trauma'  of this process, I searched online for suggestions to deal with my stressed out emotional response. I read a blog entry (which sadly I can't reference as I didn't ever think I would be referring to it in public) where a man wrote about how cathartic he had found the process of writing a fairytale as part of a management course.

I decided to write about my experience of selling and handing over our business as a fairytale. I found the experience so freeing. I could refer to all the players without naming them. In the tale, our business was called "the Garden of Life", which became a wonderful metaphor for the buyer "Emperor of Seed" and the new heads of different departments as Dukes and Duchesses of different parts of the garden.

When I wrote my final paragraph, I created a sense that completion and peace would eventually result in my story. This was what I wrote. (My husband is the King and I am Penelope)
"The King and Penelope loved their Garden even though it had caused them some sleepless nights, they had a loyal team of gardeners who were willing to work in the new Empire and collaborate with the Dukes and Duchesses. The King and Penelope realized that they were grieving the loss of their family, their dream and their success. But in the end, the Garden would survive and thrive and for Penelope and the King, freedom would be their reward."
 
Personal Resolution
Last year at memoir writing course, I was invited to write my life story as a fairytale. While there are so many ways to approach this, I chose to write about one aspect of my life. I published it on my blog and you can read it here.
 
Helping someone else with an issue
Towards the end of last year, I was in contact with a dear friend who was feeling depressed. She is a keen reader of my blog and remarked on how she loved reading my fairytale.  
 
Thinking about her story, it struck me that I could rewrite it as a fairytale. In the early hours of the next morning (3am to be precise) the story woke me up. As I lay in bed, sleep evaded me while the story unfolded and developed in my mind. Eventually at 5am, I just had to get up and write the story down.
 
I loved the way changing people's names, finding symbols for her special talent "a heartful of love that could shine on everyone she loved" and then using the same symbol so that when she became sad, her heart became dull and tarnished.
 
Finally the moral from her fairy godmother was
"People who are given the heartful of love always shine it on everyone they love and the places where they live and they forget to shine it on themselves. The first rule when you have the heartful of love is that you must shine it on yourself first, every morning and every night, BEFORE you shine it on anyone else. If you don't, it will go dull and wear out."

I loved writing this story and when my friend read it she said she had tears in her eyes. She rang me to say she was so excited to have her very own fairytale. It was a beautiful gift that gave my friend a lot of pleasure and helped her see her world from another perspective.

Planning my future Now as I sit here wondering what my new career plan might look like, I am writing a fairytale about how I can unpack my fears. I will let you know how it works out.
 
If anyone has posted a fairytale or used one in life writing, I'd love to know about your experience. Please leave a link in the comments or send me an email to  jenfish90 at gmail dot com

 
My niece, Steph, aged 3; one of our beautiful real life fairies. 1993 (taken by my sister, Kathy
with a watercolour filter added by me)



No comments:

Post a Comment