Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Almost 30 years ago

It was the 9th September 1983, a cool day in southern France. I had arrived in the old town of Carcassone and checked into the Youth Hostel. Cooking my food in the communal kitchen I met two German girls; Britta and Christina. They invited me to eat with them. I was so pleased to have company as I was travelling through Europe on my own. In every new town, I would strike up a friendship, find company to explore and share meals. I was always thrilled to meet people with whom I could connect and feel close.

I really like these two young women "despite the age difference" I write in my diary.

In the morning, they were shocked to find that their car had been broken into and their belongings stolen. It was a sad and emotional time. I offered to help. At the police station, I found that my school girl French was actually helpful. In my diary, I wrote ""the morning was spent with a pleasant policeman and I find I know more French than I realise".

After the drama and their loss, the girls decide to head back to Hamburg and I plan to visit them when I reach northern Germany.

Three weeks later, I am in Hamburg, staying with Britta and Christina first in Hamburg and then travelling through Denmark to the island of Suld and back to Hamburg until I make the journey to London on 8th October. As the boat pulls away from the dock, I wrote "I feel tears in my eyes and I wonder if we will meet again. I am sure I will see Britta. I feel a very strong link with her and I am sure we will meet again."

We spent a little over two weeks in each others company. Over the years, Britta and I have kept in touch. First it was letters and photos and cards and more recently emails. Sometimes, we lost touch when one of us moved house or changed contacts but then we found each other again.

My only son was born in July 1990 and her only son was born in October 1990.

Our travels to Europe and hers to Australia have never coincided until this year.

Three days ago we met up and she came to stay at our house. It is as if we have known each other all our lives. We have been living on opposite sides of the world and yet we have had similar experiences at different times of our lives. How is it that when you (re)meet a true connection, it is as if time melts.

We have connected, reconnected and now feel so sure of our friendship and that it will continue.

It seems amazing that a chance encounter in a youth hostel, the friendship they proffered to my aloneness, the support I offered in the crisis, has blossomed into a friendship that has stood the test of time and lasted for 30 years.

Christina, Britta and me Oct 1983




No comments:

Post a Comment