Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Joys of friendship

I have just spent three days in the company of one of my dearest friends. I have known Lou for 43 years. We met at boarding school, in 1969, year six; we were 10 years old.

She lives in the country now, on a small farm, 7 hours drive from my home town, Sydney.

As soon as we see each other, absence, time and distance melt. It is as if we are always together. In each other's company, we are walking together, in step, sharing a rhythm borne of familiarity.

This weekend we are quilting, walking and talking. Side by side we work on different patch working projects, sharing ideas, fabrics, space. It is gentle and it is easy.

There are lots of opportunities for a natter over tea. We share our stories; our frustrations, our hurts, our dreams, our parents, our children & our friends. Slowly we sift through our lives, lifting, lightening and settling.

My heart is filled, nourished by the friendship of sisterhood, soothed by empathy and sprinkled with oodles of common sense.

Every time, I visit Lou, I leave again feeling well cared for and my inner being is rested and rejuvenated by being in her love and care again.





The birds in Lou's garden, Oct 2012




 

2 comments:

  1. Makes me want to go and visit my best friend! And beautiful description of a lively weekend,

    ReplyDelete