Tuesday, September 18, 2012

I am impatient

Earlier this year I did an 8 week print making course. We learned to do dry point etching and solar plate printing.

Each step of the process involved careful preparation of the design, application of the ink and then pressing the print on wet paper.

At the end of each class, I noticed that several of my prints were imperfect; some were crooked, some had a smudge of paint and others looked rushed. One or two were just right.

"Oh, you are so productive", said some of my classmates seeing my 8 works lined up against their perfect 4.

"No", I said. "I am just impatient".

I have been thinking about my impatience and realising that it often gets in my way.

  • I rush to cut the vegies and without paying attention, I nick my finger.

  • I start a course and when it gets too hard or I feel as though I can't do it, I give up and say it wasn't right for me.

  • I start a weight loss program and when I put on weight in the first week, I say "well I am an emotional eater and life is stressful so it is no wonder I can't do it".

  • I see lots of possibility and when I get overwhelmed by choice, I do nothing.
 
  • When I am in an uncomfortable social situation, I look for an easy escape.

So this week, I am going to pay attention to my impatience, stay with the discomfort, slow down and open up to the unease and see where it leads me.


Printing making samples March 2012

2 comments:

  1. Good for you recognizing and making a conscious effort to do something. I am a very impatient person, which usually rears its ugly head in similar ways as you. Most importantly, though, I need to work on my patience with my son.

    ReplyDelete