Friday, December 28, 2012

2012 in review - best books

I love my books and I am constantly reading partly for escape, partly on a quest to learn more and often to find out more about myself. In 2012 here are some that have grabbed my attention..

Expanding my horizons

Christina Baldwin Storycatcher; Making sense of our lives through the power and practice of story "Story binds us, gives us place, lineage, history and a sense of self," says Christina Baldwin. This book takes us through the importance of being a storycatcher, how we weave, create and tell story. Using her own story as examples, this book captivated my imagination and spurs me on to be a better storycatcher.




Susan Cain Quiet: the Power of Introverts People often question that I am an introvert and I have struggled at times to accept that I am one. But the most telling sign is how I get, regain and maintain my equilibrium- alone, in quiet and often with my nose in a book. In a world where being an extrovert is the norm or the preferred way of relating, this book draws on research to explain and understand the experience and preferences of the introvert.



Brenda Tharp & Jed Manwaring Extraordinary Everyday Photography This book taught me to look for beauty in the everyday; to slow down and look for the smallest signs of beauty in the space I inhabit. Encouraging me to photograph with heart, I love this book.






Kelly McGonigal Willpower Instinct (or Maximum Willpower in some countries)
Being a person who struggles constantly with willpower especially over excessive eating and drinking, (yet demonstrates great willpower to achieve work tasks) I was naturally drawn to this book. Kelly writes in an easy manner and explains how willpower works, how to improve willpower through training and how we all have limits of self control.




Fiction

SJ Watson Before I Go to Sleep This is a stunning debut novel by English writer, SJ Watson. The story tantalises us with the intriguing concept of a woman with amnesia, who wakes each day not knowing who she is. Drawing on a journal that her neurologist has encouraged her to keep, Christine tries each day to piece together her past and find scraps of her memory. It is a gripping mystery that unfolds with surprising twists and turns.

Barry Maitland Bright Air
Set in Sydney and Lord Howe Island, this is a gripping thriller that kept me engrossed until the end. Not a standard detective story but rather an unfolding of a mystery. Lord Howe is one of my favourite places in the world, its pristine beauty, crystal clear waters as well as stunning reef and fish. Naturally I loved looking for landmarks in this book.

This was my first Barry Maitland novel and I went on to enjoy several of is other police / detective stories set in England.

My fiction genre of choice is mysteries, thrillers and detective stories. this year I have indulged in the latest releases of my favourite authors; Lynda La Plante, Tess Gerritson, Elizabeth George, Jeffery Deaver to name a few.


No comments:

Post a Comment