Saturday, February 1, 2014

Gratitude January

Ever since I read how practising gratitude can improve mood and sense of wellbeing, I have been an inconsistent proponent of the habit.

In 2009, I read a magazine article about a woman who took a photo of the small things that she was grateful for, every day and posted it on Flickr . She had been experiencing depression and she found that posting her daily photo resulted in much improved mood. I started the practice of taking a photo every day. It was fun looking for a moment to capture and photograph. I think my folder had about 30 entries, maybe one month's worth.

Then I read in Sonja Lyubomirsky's wonderful book, The How of Happiness that writing  in a gratitude journal significantly boosted happiness. While it is recommended that you do it every day, Sonja says that once a week can be effective. In the last few years when I have become stressed and negative and unhappy, I would pull out my gratitude journal and write down my thoughts. It has been so important to take my focus off my worries and instead focus on moments of beauty, people, places that I am lucky to have in my life.

So I plan to look for those moments of gratitude and post them in my blog at least once a week. Today I'm doing a catchup.. for January and here are 10 things that I am grateful for
  1. the extent of surgery on my arm was much less than had been predicted and
  2. my recovery is happening so much more quickly
  3. my friends who sent me so much love and support before, during and after my surgery- I floated on a cloud of love
  4. my husband who listened to and supported me in my pre-op nervous jitters and my post-op exhaustion
  5. a friend who sent the most exquisite bunch of flowers that not only looked divine in pinks and blues but also wafted a heavenly scent when I walked in the room
  6. the beautiful sunshine that has greeted me so often in January making it a pleasure to sit on our deck
  7. our garden has felt like a peaceful oasis where I can rest and heal
  8. getting back into the pool and realising how much I love my swimming
  9. breakfast with our son Nick on Australia Day at a cafe on the local marina
  10. feeling the return of energy and excitement about what 2014 has in store
What are you grateful for today?

I love flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment